Work zone crash is common and the common cause of them is not far-fetched. As a driver, when you leave what you are supposed to do and start doing another thing, the end result may be disastrous.
Driving involves lots of caution, carefulness, sanity, and mental well-being, otherwise, an accident may occur. So, how do you avoid being involved in work zone crashes?
A practical way to avoid being involved in a work zone crash is by:
- Reducing your speed
- Maintaining a safe distance between your vehicle and the one ahead of you
- Avoid any form of distractions
- Ensure your turn signal is used when changing lanes
- Follow instructions given by the workers in the work zone
- Be a responsible driver
- Don’t drive angry
What is a Work Zone Crash
A work zone crash is the type of crash that occurs within the boundaries of a work zone caused either by the behavior of some drivers or activities going on in the work zone.
This is why drivers should apply more caution when driving in a work zone to avoid any form of crash. Follow all the instructions stipulated for work zones so that you and other drivers can get to your destination safely.
A Practical Way to Avoid Being Involved in a Work Zone Crash
Here are the practical ways to avoid being involved in a work zone crash:
1. Reduce Your Speed
When you drive into a work zone, you are urged to reduce your speed. You are not expected to over speed in a work zone with the reason being that the work zone is no highways. Driving in an expressway can never be the same as driving in a work zone.
The required speed limit in a work zone is 45 mph. This can vary depending on your state. In Virginia, the work zone speed limit is 50 mph.
In California, vehicle code 2232 places the speed limit to be 25 mph. You can also drive slower than the speed limit depending on the traffic ahead.
However, it is important to note that driving above the speed limit or overspeeding in a work zone attracts fines between $70 to $150 using Pennsylvania as an example.
In Illinois, the fine is $375 for the first time and $1000 for the second offense. This also goes for every other state in the United States.
2. Maintaining a Safe Distance Between Other Vehicle
While driving in a work zone, you don’t have to follow the vehicle ahead bumper to bumper. You are advised to maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and the vehicle.
This is because should in case the driver ahead uses his/her brake suddenly, you can be able to put your car to a stop without crashing into him/her. It will also prevent the vehicle at your back from crashing into you.
3. Avoid Distractions
Some drivers have formed the habit of always getting distracted while driving. If you are in a work zone, you are urged to avoid any form of distractions.
Distraction can come in different forms ranging from the pressing or using of mobile phones while driving, answering calls to changing the radio stations or going through your infotainment system while driving.
It can also come in form of thinking about something else or looking at pretty girls by the side of the road. Please avoid any form of distraction and focus on your driving.
4. Use Your Turn Signal When Changing Lanes
If you are driving in a work zone and wants to change lane, ensure to turn your signal on before changing lane so that the car following behind will know what you want to do. You don’t have to just change the lane just like that.
5. Follow Instructions Given by the Workers in the Work Zone
If peradventure there are new updates about the work zone, there will be someone who could be one of the construction workers working in the work zone. This person will be the one to give the instructions to the drivers or vehicles coming into the work zone.
Whatever instructions he gives, you should follow them, and the best way to do this is by turning down the volume of your radio, and rolling down the windows so you can hear the instructions.
6. Be a Responsible Driver
You don’t have to be an irresponsible driver. Drive cautiously in a work zone to avoid causing problems for others.
7. Don’t Drive Angry
If something or someone, perhaps another driver annoys you, temper justice with mercy so that everyone can get home safely without the sudden news of a crash.
Some drivers can be very annoying. I’ve been a victim of some annoying drivers. What I normally do anytime another driver drives in a way that gets on my nerves, instead of reacting, I will just put on a song I enjoy very well. The song will help make me forget the incident.
What to Do If You Are Involved in a Work Zone Crash
- Remain On The Scene: If you are involved in a work zone crash, remain on the scene, and do not attempt speeding away as that can be termed as a hit and run. Speeding off after being involved in a work zone crash can incur more fines that can go into your record.
- Call 911: The next thing to do is to call the emergency numbers such as 911 for those in the United States. This will make the police and other first responders come to the scene and help the injured if there is any and take the necessary evidence needed.
- Take Photos and Videos: If you are involved in a work zone crash, ensure to take photos and videos of the incidents and the damage done. If you have a dash cam in your car, be sure that it recorded the incident. Gets pictures and videos of the damages done to the car as a result of the crash. You can also get a picture of the road and its surroundings.
- Get Medical Attention: If you are involved in a work zone crash and were injured, ensure to get medical attention as soon as possible, Do not wait until it’s too late. Depending on the severity of the injury, go for exrays and have yourself checked to avoid internal bleeding, etc.
- Ask for Contact Information From Any Witnesses: If some people were around during the crash, you can get their contact. They can serve as a witness when needed.
- Contact an Attorney: It is wise to contact a personal injury attorney to help determine if your injury is something that can hold ground for a lawsuit. They can also give you the necessary legal advice you need.
Work zone accidents or crash is something that can be avoided if we drive cautiously. It is not a very difficult thing to do. Ensure you drive within the recommended speed limit and avoid any form of distractions.